My Fitness Journey

A daily chronicle of my quest for ultimate fitness.

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

10k!

I've figured out that running is 80% mental and 20% carbs.



I knew I had to get past my 4 mile distance. Yesterday was a little rainy and very humid, so I went to the gym to run on the dreaded treadmill. I prefer a countdown of mileage, so I set the treadmill to the 10k distance (6.22 miles), thinking I would try to run 5, or at the very least, 4.5 miles.

I decided to eat some Cheerios earlier that morning to see if carbs would help fuel my dead weight legs.

Before I left, I loaded up my mp3 player with new tunes. Running and lifting music is different for me. I was continually motivated as each new song played, and I got to 4 miles with little trouble.



I told myself, Let's go to 5. I got to 5.25 and was ready to call it quits, until my mp3 player switched to Ice Cube's Put Your Ass Into It. I broke into a smile and actually increased my speed. "Life aint a track meet, it's a marathon", "Don't stop, get it, get it". I was like, OKAY!

The last half mile of the 10k was the worst. I tried my hardest not to look at the mileage countdown. Luckily I unknowingly timed my songs so that Mariah Carey and Bone Thugs n Harmony's Butterfly remix started just as the last minute counted down. The song starts with "Don't break down yet, it's over, Don't break down yet, it's over". Haha! It felt like divinely inspired music arrangement.

The Cheerios and a good night's sleep were the keys to me lasting the 10k. Aside from that, a little music encouragement brought me through.

I was proud of myself of attaining some respectable mileage. I'm pretty sore today, even after a cold Epsom salts bath yesterday and plenty of stretching. But most importantly, no pain.

I've decided on my next race, and I will write about it next time.

Loose Legs and Happy Running!

1 Comments:

At Thu Sep 01, 09:41:00 AM EDT, Blogger sam said...

hahaa~ great run!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home