My Fitness Journey

A daily chronicle of my quest for ultimate fitness.

Sunday, September 11, 2005

I need new routes

I ran an uninteresting 5 miles today downtown. I'm bored with my usual 4 mile mapped route, so I decided to map out 5 miles south from where I usually run. It was nice and flat with wide sidewalks, but not much to look at.

I use this site http://www.sueandpaul.com/gmapPedometer/ to map street distances. It's great because it gives you mile markers and you know exactly how far you're running. Even with this awesome tool, I'm having trouble finding nice places to run, that are also far enough. For example, I tried to map a loop throughout our historic millyard, but it just wasn't long enough to avoid turning around and running back the same way I came.

I'm also finding that I have quite the inner dialogue going on. I'm probably a little schizo, but that wouldn't surprise many. It started with an inner coach cheering me on, but now it's more like:

Me: "Why do I do this?"
Inside Me: "Because you can. Because it makes you look good, feel good, and your lungs are getting stronger."

Me: "What if I just stopped right now and started walking?"
Inside Me: "You could if you wanted to, but then you'd have to walk two miles back to the car. Might as well run it."

Me: "This sucks."
Inside Me: "Mile 3 of any run has always sucked for you. Keep going and it will get better."

Me: "I want to stop."
Inside Me: "Why? What hurts? Nothing. Can you breathe? Yes. Keep going."

My inner self is tough, and it can be tougher on some days, like "Suck it up and run!" or sometimes I need a break and it will say, "Good job, keep going, you're almost there."

In my life right now, nothing, and I mean NOTHING feels as close to heaven as my post run stretch. If I'm lucky, a light breeze will blow over me as I lay in the grass. I love looking up at the sky and feeling my tired muscles stretch and loosen. I always take my time stretching. When I get up, I feel energized and happy. Then I get hungry :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home