My Fitness Journey

A daily chronicle of my quest for ultimate fitness.

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

So pasta really does work?

Bob Foley made lasagne, macaroni and cheese, chili, salad and brownies for yesterday's inventory dinner at work. I ate some of each.

Today I ran on the track, and although my legs felt sluggish for the first two miles, something hit me at 3.5 and I felt like I could go forever. I ended up running five without a lot of anguish. I think I could have ran longer, but I wanted to finish feeling good, not totally spent.

I know carbs are necessary to run. Sometimes I think I'm still in denial about that, though. I lose weight with fewer carbs, but can run longer and easier with more. I've tried targeting carbs immediately before a run and some for post run recovery, and that seems to work okay, but I still lose weight and bloat easier with fewer overall. A dilemma.

As I walked to the bench to stretch after my run today, a man I passed a few times (he was walking) said to me, "You're in shape! You're doing really good!" I was like, wow. Ha ha. I said, "Thanks, I appreciate that" and moseyed over to my bench.

I didn't run fast today. I had wind gusts up to 31 mph in my face. I felt good, but I wasn't racing, so I ran a comfortable pace. I certainly didn't feel like I was running in any kind of impressive manner, although I think maybe he was just appreciative of the non-stop mileage. Who knows. The encouragement was very nice to hear.

As a side note, I've passed 150 miles ran since June 19th. Almost 6 marathons.

I'd really like to improve my weekly mileage. With the weather growing colder and snow soon to fall, I am not sure how that will happen. I definitely need a running jacket, and I hope I have some extra money to buy that this week. It was pretty cold on the track today, but I only noticed it when I stopped running. Then I got very uncomfortably cold. Some people came to the track, walked one lap and left. Brrr... We'll see what happens.

I'm not sure if training with pasta is the best idea for me, but I might go back to cheerios or animal crackers and gummy bears as last minute fuel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home